How To Fix Printer Driver is Unavailable (Solved) – If you’ve ever encountered an error message that says “Printer driver is unavailable,” then you know just how frustrating it can be.
This error message typically occurs when you try to print a document, and it can prevent you from being able to print anything at all.
Fortunately, there are a few things that you can try to fix this issue and get your printer working again.
What is a Printer Driver?
Before we dive into the solution, let’s take a moment to understand what a printer driver is. A printer driver is a piece of software that allows your computer to communicate with your printer.
Whenever you want to print something, your computer sends a set of instructions to the printer driver, which then translates those instructions into a language that the printer can understand.
What Causes the “Printer Driver is Unavailable” Error?
There are several reasons why you might see the “Printer driver is unavailable” error message. Some of the most common causes include:
- Outdated or corrupted printer driver
- Connectivity issues between the printer and your computer
- Malware or virus infections
- Windows updates that have caused conflicts with the printer driver
- Issues with the print spooler service on your computer
How to Fix the “Printer Driver is Unavailable” Error
You can try this on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Here are some steps you can take to fix the “printer driver is unavailable” error:
Restart the Printer Spooler Service
The printer spooler service is responsible for managing print jobs and communicating with the printer. If this service is not running or is experiencing issues, it can cause the “printer driver is unavailable” error. To restart the printer spooler service, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to find the “Print Spooler” service.
- Right-click on the “Print Spooler” service and select “Restart.”
- Wait for the service to restart and then try printing again.
Update Printer Drivers
Outdated or corrupt printer drivers can also cause the “printer driver is unavailable” error. To update your printer drivers, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + X on your keyboard and select “Device Manager.”
- Expand the “Printers” category.
- Right-click on your printer and select “Update driver.”
- Choose the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
- Windows will search for the latest driver and install it automatically.
- Restart your computer and try printing again.
If Windows is unable to find the latest driver, you can visit the manufacturer’s website and download the driver manually.
Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Windows has a built-in printer troubleshooter that can help diagnose and fix common printer issues, including the “printer driver is unavailable” error. To run the printer troubleshooter, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on “Update & Security.”
- Select “Troubleshoot” from the left pane.
- Click on “Printer” and then click “Run the troubleshooter.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to diagnose and fix any issues.
Check Printer Connectivity
The “printer driver is unavailable” error can also be caused by connectivity issues between the printer and your computer. To check the connectivity, follow these steps:
- Check that your printer is turned on and connected to your computer via USB cable or Wi-Fi.
- If your printer is connected via Wi-Fi, make sure that it is connected to the same network as your computer.
- Check that the printer is set as the default printer.
- Restart your printer and computer.
Check for Malware Infections
Malware infections can also cause the “printer driver is unavailable” error. It is important to regularly scan your computer for malware and viruses. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download and install a reputable anti-malware software, such as Malwarebytes.
- Run a full system scan to detect and remove any malware.
- Restart your computer and try printing again.
In conclusion, the “printer driver is unavailable” error can be caused by various factors, including outdated or corrupt drivers, connectivity issues, or even malware infections. By following the above steps, you can fix the issue
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make my printer driver available?
1. Check if the printer driver is already installed on your computer. If it is, skip to step 3.
2. Download and install the printer driver from the manufacturer’s website. Follow the installation instructions carefully.
3. Connect the printer to your computer and turn it on.
4. Open the Devices and Printers folder in the Control Panel.
5. Click on “Add a printer” and select your printer from the list of available printers.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Once the setup is complete, your printer driver should be available for use.
What does it mean when printer driver is unavailable?
When a printer driver is unavailable, it means that the computer is unable to communicate with the printer because it does not have the necessary software to do so.
This can occur if the driver is missing or corrupted, or if there is an issue with the printer or its connections.
As a result, the printer will not be able to receive print jobs from the computer until the driver is installed or updated.